Wednesday 30 September 2009

Making Chocolate Truffles



Never having made any sort of chocolate and being far from adept at making desserts (or should it be deserts, sometimes spell checker are no use) I started off the process with some trepidation.

After consulting several cookery books, checking recipes on line and taking advice from fellow bloggers I opted for a Nigel Slater recipe.

It is a simple recipe with few ingredients they are: 450gm fine chocolate, 275 ml whipping or double cream and cocoa powder for dusting.

Melt the chocolate gently making sure it is lump free. Whilst the chocolate is melting bring the cream almost to the boil. Add the cream to the chocolate. Chill for at least two hours.

Once the mixture has set have a stiff drink (RIP Keith Floyd). I tried to use two teaspoons to make the balls, but in the end I settled for a melon baller and 1 teaspoon. I did get into a bit of a mess making the first few. To tell the truth it looked like I had been attending a nursery art class. Chocolate everywhere.


Then I remembered reading the advice that you should dust your hands with cocoa powder, this does stop you getting into a total mess.

The result has been tasted by one wife, two children and one random friend of child 2. Wife and child 1 liked the result but found it a bit bitter, child 2 & friend thought they were really good. (3 each and feeling sick).


Excuse the quality of the pictures - I think I got chocolate ganache on the lens, this works far less well than Vaseline in all circumstances.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry - I was too late to reply on UKFBA. I make truffles all the time for family and friends - I even made them for my wedding favours back in June. Once you've got a recipe you are happy with its best to pop the ganache in the fridge over night and then use a melon baller to make the truffles, pop them back in the frisge to firm back up before coating them. And if you are adding booze to the mix I find its best to use extra thick double cream to help them set as booze makes them much softer. They look great though, my first attempt was much less pretty lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - clearly spell check isn't any good for me either hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, they look heaps better than mine ever did. Like the tip about the melon baller - maybe I will give it another go one day.

    ReplyDelete